The TSPS Education Committee is committed to developing a comprehensive Course Development Education Program to ensure that members of the surveying profession are provided with high quality educational opportunities to further individual professional development, increase public awareness, and to improve the profession as a whole.
- To preserve and advance the body of knowledge of the surveying profession.
- To retain the overall competency of the surveying practitioner on a professional level through quality seminars and quality instruction.
- To provide the highest quality educational support to meet the professional standards of the Society.
- To support efforts that improves public awareness of the surveying profession.
Course Development Program:
The TSPS Course Development Program gives members a unique opportunity to combine their passion for education and the surveying profession. Members use their personal experience, knowledge, and desire to contribute to developing meaningful and effective courses that meet the professional development needs of the surveying profession.
Members who choose to become a part of this dynamic experience receive top-notch training in adult learning principles, effective course design, and valuable speaking skills. In addition to comprehensive training that can be applied to all aspects of life, the Course Development Program offers members encouragement and support throughout the process. Course Developers are able to utilize their expertise, discover new skills, and experience the fulfillment of creating a product that gives surveyors the education they want and need for years to come.
Volunteers attend 3 training workshops that will present and illustrate all of the principles, steps, and tools needed to develop an effective TSPS course. Participants will share ideas, give input and feedback, and contribute to the design and development of a 4 or 8 hour TSPS course that will be presented at Symposium and in some cases be distributed to chapters for local education programs.
Course Developers dedicate many hours to the creation of these engaging and relevant courses. The return on investment is immeasurable. Once the process is completed and the courses have been presented at Symposium, the final developers become Certified TSPS Course Developers and have the opportunity to become a part of the Speaker Development Program.
The Chapter Champion Program:
The Course Development Program thrives on the commitment and participation of chapters through the Chapter Champion Program. TSPS Chapters are asked to sponsor a local team to develop a new TSPS course through the Course Development Program. The chapter is asked to assemble a team of 3-5 volunteers to work together to see the course through to completion. The chapter will also be the first to present the course through a beta event in the chapter area.
Once the course is completed, chapters will be recognized as the Chapter Champion for that course and be able to present that course in their chapter. TSPS will waive the chapter fee as described in the Seminar Administration Policy for each course a chapter fully Champions. In addition to providing the chapter with a new educational event to offer its members, becoming a Chapter Champion allows chapters to generate additional revenue with minimum expense.
Course Development Curriculum:
In order to create a curriculum-based approach to the Course Development Program, TSPS Brand Seminars have been arranged into categories. This classification provides a way to describe seminars on the basis of content and complexity of subject. See the TSPS Course Catalog - Chapter Ready for full description of TSPS Brand Seminars.
- Fundamental - Courses designed to teach basic and intermediate survey skills to the surveying technician or field personnel.
- Foundation - Teaches or reviews core knowledge for the surveyor in training or newly registered professional. Also includes refresher courses that cover topics considered a foundation of surveying practice.
- Professional Development - Courses designed for the seasoned practitioner. Courses aimed at expanding on the intricacies of professional surveying.
- Special Topics - Courses that address special interest or hot topics or courses that provide training in aligned professions or areas considered outside pure surveying.
If you have a desire to contribute to the quality and content of TSPS educational offerings, consider putting your talents to use in developing a new course, contact your chapter Education Committee Chair or TSPS Course Development/Speaker Development Sub-Committee Chair, Craig Alderman (432) 687-0865 firstname.lastname@example.org.